Black pepper or Kali Mirchi, is loaded with medicinal properties. We have often listened to our elders talk about the health benefits of black pepper. It is known for its medicinal properties. It has long been used as a remedy for common health issues like cough and cold. Black pepper benefits for the immune system have made it a popular ingredient in traditional medicine. Now, in the midst of the pandemic, is the time to make the most of this simple ingredient and its ability to boost our immune response.
In this article, you will learn all about how kali mirch benefits your immune system and the best recipes for effective results.
Black Pepper Benefits for Immunity
Black pepper is one of the ingredients that can be easily found in any household. It is not only a spice that adds great flavor to your food but is also a great way to keep your immune system performing at its best. Some of the well-known uses of black pepper include improving digestion and even warding off common health issues. To understand these uses better, go through the list:
1. Rich in Vitamins
When we think of Vitamin C, we instantly think of citrus fruits. However, not many know that black pepper is a storehouse of this vital vitamin. Vitamin C is one of the best immunity-boosting nutrients that is even used in many modern medicines. Vitamin A is another important ingredient that gives black pepper strong medicinal properties. Both these vitamins are known to strengthen the immune system. Black pepper also aids in the absorption of nutrients and eliminates toxins effectively from the body.
2. High Antioxidant Level
The primary plant compound found in black pepper is piperine. Black pepper is also rich in flavonoids. These compounds are among nature’s strongest antioxidants. When the body undergoes stress as a result of various environmental and lifestyle-related factors, free radicals are created. These are unstable molecules that can harm your cells and tissues. They are responsible for oxidative stress that can cause several health issues, including heart diseases.
What makes black pepper beneficial is also the high concentration of these antioxidants. They neutralize free radicals and balance their level in the body. As a result, any stress caused to the cells and tissues is reduced. This also includes the T-cells which are responsible for fighting any pathogens in the body.
Another important benefit of these antioxidants is that they reduce the stress on the immune system. When the free radicals in the body increase, the immune system springs into action to prevent any health issues. This means that it is compromised when you are attacked by any pathogen. Reduced free radical levels allow you to enjoy the full strength of the immune system, making you less vulnerable to common health issues.
3. Best Natural Anti-Inflammatory Agent
Black pepper uses and benefits may also be attributed to its anti-inflammatory property. When you have an infection or injury, the first response of the body is inflammation. However, when inflammation persists after you have recovered from the actual infection or injury, it becomes a chronic health issue that stresses the immune system. Black pepper reduces the inflammatory response of the body, thereby preventing several health conditions. This is also important to ensure that your immune system remains focused on dealing with disease-causing pathogens.
There are other black pepper benefits that keep your body functioning at its best. Consuming black pepper regularly is known to improve digestion and gut health. It also reduces blood sugar and cholesterol levels, protecting you from several serious health issues.
7 Easy Ways to Include Black Pepper
How do you make the most of black pepper uses and benefits? Here are some simple ways in which you can include pepper in your regular diet.
1. Black Pepper and Tomato Soup
Black pepper benefits are enhanced when combined with nutrient-dense tomatoes. You get an additional dose of Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and antioxidants with this easy recipe:
- In 250 ml of water, boil 2-3 tomatoes, 1-inch ginger, 1-inch cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of crushed black pepper.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, mash the mixture.
- In a pan, heat 1 tsp of oil and add 3-4 chopped cloves of garlic with 1 finely chopped onion. Let them turn brown.
- Mix in the tomato stock and season with salt. Allow it to boil for a few minutes.
- Serve with a generous seasoning of black pepper powder.
2. Black Pepper Tea
This is a great way to boost your immunity and metabolism. This easy recipe is the best way to enjoy the maximum health benefits of black pepper:
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and turn the heat off.
- Add 1 teaspoon of coarsely crushed black pepper, 1 teaspoon of grated ginger, and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to the boiled water.
- Cover the utensil with a lid and allow the ingredients to steep.
- Strain and serve.
- Drink this tea twice a day for additional uses and benefits of black pepper like faster weight loss and better digestion.
This is a traditional remedy recommended for any common illness like fever, cold, or cough. This wholesome drink is a testimony to the numerous kali mirch benefits:
- In a deep saucepan, boil 2 cups of water.
- Crush 1 inch of peeled ginger, 5-6 black peppercorns, 5-6 tulsi leaves, and 4-5 cloves together in a mortar and pestle.
- Add this mixture to the boiling water and let it simmer until the water reduces to half.
- Turn the heat off and let the kadha cool down.
- Add a generous amount of honey when serving to reduce the bitter taste of the ingredients and prepare a soothing drink.
4. Cumin, Turmeric, and Black Pepper Tea
This is another herbal tea that gives you great black pepper benefits. Turmeric and cumin are also rich in antioxidants to give your immunity a much-needed boost.
- Boil two cups of water and turn the heat off.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of cumin, black peppercorns, and turmeric to the boiled water.
- Cover it and allow the spices to steep in the hot water.
- Strain the tea and serve with a tablespoon of honey and some crushed mint leaves.
5. Black Pepper Rice
Start your meals with this simple preparation to keep your immune response optimal.
- Take a few spoons of well-cooked rice.
- Mix in a tablespoon of ghee and 1 teaspoon of black pepper powder.
- Add salt to taste and consume.
6. Pepper and Turmeric Milk
Turmeric milk has always been a go-to for health issues and even injuries. Adding pepper makes it the best immunity-boosting beverage:
- Boil one glass of milk.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sugar or honey and mix well.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric and pepper powder and mix.
- It is best to consume this beverage at night to get the maximum benefits and uses of black pepper.
7. Pepper and Honey Tonic
This is the easiest option to include black pepper in your regular diet. It is ready in just a few minutes but has effects that last a lifetime:
- To 1 teaspoon of ghee, add 1 teaspoon of honey and ½ teaspoon of black pepper powder.
- Mix well and consume three times each day for the best results.
Black pepper benefits for your immune system can be crucial to your overall health. Enhance the effects of these natural remedies by including a variety of ingredients in your diet. Adding spices like cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves gives you additional health benefits that complement the effects of black pepper.